tianasmith

Tiana Smith

Some of my many talents include making a mean box of Mac & Cheese, drawing stick figures, designing cute blog templates, and finding Waldo. I read and write MG and YA & I have a soft spot for love stories.

The One and Only Ivan

The One and Only Ivan - So heartwarming and yet sad at the same time. Even the happy moments made me a little sad, but in a good way. It was interesting to see the world through a gorilla's eyes - though I think the gorilla became more and more human-like as the book progressed. I felt a little bad for pretty much all of the characters involved - human and animal alike. I'm glad there was a happier ending, and I suppose given the circumstances, it was the happiest it could be. After all, it wouldn't make much sense to put a gorilla who was raised in captivity back into the wild. I don't want to make it sound like this book was a downer, since it wasn't. It was just ... poignant. Warning to those of you who are considering reading this aloud to kids - there is a death about half way through that might be a little traumatizing to younger children.