tianasmith

Tiana Smith

Some of my many talents include making a mean box of Mac & Cheese, drawing stick figures, designing cute blog templates, and finding Waldo. I read and write MG and YA & I have a soft spot for love stories.

The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow: Surreptitious Superhero

The Secret Life of Copernicus H. Stringfellow: Surreptitious Superhero - Lorin K. Barber This was a very different book. The main character is a genius who knows pretty much everything there is to know about everything - which on one hand, it's interesting to read about all the random facts he knows, but on the other hand, it can also get annoying when you're just trying to read the story and he keeps inserting random bits of trivia that have nothing to do with anything. It took me a while to figure out the plot for this book. It seems like it's mostly just about a man who helps a lot of different people. It wasn't until I was a good portion into it that I realized that the actual plot of the novel had to do with how Nick uses his special abilities to stop a child predator from attacking those he has grown close to. For a while, the plot kind of meandered. The writing style wasn't as clean as I was wanting and was somewhat predictable (you meet a new character, the next paragraph is all about their physical description, then that character folds into the crowd surrounding Nick). Each character was described in a very similar way - not that they looked alike, but I could tell you the hair color, build, eye color and height of every single character because it was always spelled out precisely for you. Frankly, I don't care if a character is 5 foot 3 or 5 foot 2.Nick's abilities were very interesting, and I loved that Twinkies were a source of power :) I liked watching how the other hospital staff interacted with Nick. I also really liked Jemima's character - she really came alive for me. Sidenote: I'm not sure how the inventors of Botox, the iPod and Rogain would feel about having someone (even if only in fiction) say that someone else invented those things ...