tianasmith

Tiana Smith

Some of my many talents include making a mean box of Mac & Cheese, drawing stick figures, designing cute blog templates, and finding Waldo. I read and write MG and YA & I have a soft spot for love stories.

Uncharted

Uncharted: Story for a Shipwright - J.B. Chicoine I'm not really sure how to rate this book, and here's why: This book isn't my typical sort of reading, and for those who follow my reviews, I don't want them to see me say how great this book is, only to pick it up and feel disappointed because it's not my regular fare. With that said, although this book was completely different from my normal reading, I found that I really enjoyed it. I picked it up thinking it'd be YA, but I'd call this regular adult fiction, especially with the sexual innuendos that are both said and implied. The other reason why this book is so different from my regular reading is because of how it's plot and pacing unfurls. I've gotten used to the faster paces of most books being published today, and this book takes a slower approach (but it's definitely not boring). When I say slow, I mean that things unfold in a very natural way, building up so that you can't wait to see where the author is going to take the story. (As opposed to faster books where incident after incident force the character into action. This one seems more real).When Marlena's background is finally revealed, I can't say that I was surprised, since I had kind of been expecting it, but it was still exciting to see Sam's reaction. Also, this book is a really nice blend of modern and historical (since there's a story within the story). You definitely get the feeling that the author knows her stuff about boats, sailing, water, shipwrecks, etc. And speaking of the author - can I just say that I was incredibly surprised that the author is a female? The male voice of Sam as the narrator is just so. spot. on. I really felt like I was in a man's head, which I don't always feel like when I'm reading about a male character that's been written by a female. So, this book was a little more ... mature? than my regular reading, but it was a nice change of pace.