tianasmith

Tiana Smith

Some of my many talents include making a mean box of Mac & Cheese, drawing stick figures, designing cute blog templates, and finding Waldo. I read and write MG and YA & I have a soft spot for love stories.

Tangled Tides

Tangled Tides - Karen Amanda Hooper I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I thought it would be your average mermaid story, but all the mixed elements of selkies, gorgons, sirens, etc made things more interesting. The book starts off right away with Yara being turned into a mermaid by, what, page two? So I felt like that was a little fast, and I also felt their love was fast (I think they were together six days or something before they're admitting their love - and the first two days she hates him, so yeah, that felt forced to me). Once I decided to go with the flow though (ha, my water puns are awesome) and just accept their love, then I didn't mind. The rest of the pacing I really, really liked. I felt like the delicate balance of handling the back story and letting us know what was really happening only when we really needed to was great. Usually I hate books that have a main character that doesn't really know what's going on. I usually think "if I were turned into a mermaid, you better bet that I'd be getting the full story". But the way the story unfolded was believable in that regard. Yara didn't always understand the different sides of the "war", but her reasons for innocence were real. I also tend to get annoyed by YA books where the two main characters aren't "supposed" to hook up because it's dangerous, but in this one, I felt it really worked. I mean I wouldn't want to turn to stone by a boy who was part gorgon either. I liked how the story was told in three different viewpoints. Usually stories don't pull this off too well, so I definitely have to give the author props for that! Her world building was top notch and interesting.What I didn't like? The language. There was a lot of swearing and it began to get to me. If you're not the type to be bothered by this though, then I'd recommend the book! Her writing is beautiful and she has the perfect balance of details, emotion and action.