tianasmith

Tiana Smith

Some of my many talents include making a mean box of Mac & Cheese, drawing stick figures, designing cute blog templates, and finding Waldo. I read and write MG and YA & I have a soft spot for love stories.

The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson I FINALLY finished this book. Man, it's a beast. I had a really hard time getting into this book, and only started finding things interesting about half way through - and when the book is as long as this one, half way is a looooong way away. It was just so confusing at first and I didn't feel any connection to any of the characters. I didn't understand the various peoples and magics (fabrials, surgebinding, etc.) Once I got past the halfway mark, more things started to make sense and I could start to enjoy the events. I noticed that I started to care for the characters more once they made a stand for something. I liked Kaladin from the beginning, probably because of this. I didn't like Dalinar for the longest time because he didn't act on anything..I still feel this is more of a ... manly book, since it's very centered on war and there's only one female main character in the entire thing. But yes, I'll pick up the next one now that I've done the legwork and gotten invested (and after that ending the betrayal by Sadeas, Kaladin finally getting recognition and leading his men, Shallan learning the truth of the Parshendi, who wouldn't be invested? After spending so much time with these characters, I want to know how their story lines will play out. (And here I promised myself I wouldn't get invested in another epic fantasy after Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time. Sigh).(I was debating between 3 and 4 stars. I really liked the second half of the book, though I had to trudge through the first half. So, I guess 4 stars wins out.)